The resource bundle input files displaytag_zh*.properties and errors_zh*.properties seemed be converted by native2ascii-maven-plugin but the input files were included in the WAR instead of the output files.
I ran "mvn clean package" and found the input files of displaytag_zh*.properties and errors_zh*.properties were bundled in the WAR file, but the output files should be there. The output files of ApplicationResources_zh*.properties were included in the WAR successfully.
I tried "mvn clean native2ascii:native2ascii" and the output files of displaytag_zh*.properties and errors_zh*.properties were found in the folder target/resources as what I expected. But after running "mvn clean package", only ApplicationResources*.properties were found in target/resources folder.
I had a try according to Hantsy's solution (1. Including displaytag_zh*.properties and errors_zh*.properties in the native2ascii-utf8 execution element of native2ascii-maven-plugin. 2. Excluding them from directory "src/main/resources" in <resource> element in the pom.xml) but I could not find them in the WAR file (i.e. they were excluded from the WAR file).
I figured out a workaround. First renamed _zh.properties files to be _zh_input.properties and run "mvn clean native2ascii:native2ascii". Then copy the output files from target/resources folder back to src/main/resources and rename them back to their original names(without "_input"). And add the following in <resources> element.